Top Ten Songs of the Seventies
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 70s?
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 80s and 90s
- 10. Tiny Dancer by Elton John
- 9. You Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC
Who doesn't like this song?
- 8. Angie by Rolling Stones
Love it love it love it.
- 7. Killer Queen by Queen
It's such an awesome song.
- 6. The Boys Are Back In Town by Thin Lizzy
- 5. Paranoid by Black Sabbath
- 4. American Girl by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
I love Tom Petty! Probably my favorite musican ever.
- 3. Just What I Needed by The Cars
- 2. Wonderful Tonight by Eric Clapton
This is such a beautiful song...by a beautiful man. It's one of my favorites of all time.
- 1. Baba O'Riley by The Who
The Who is one hell of a band, and this is one hell of a song!
Even though I wasn't around in the 70's, Im really into the music and love the bands...great stuff, wish I would have been there...
By: Kyle Kushnerik
- 10. The Chain by Fleetwood Mac
- 9. When The Levee Breaks by Led Zeppelin
- 8. Cocaine by Eric Clapton
- 7. Night Moves by Bob Seger
- 6. (Don't Fear) The Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult
- 5. Tuesday's Gone by Lynyrd Skynyrd
- 4. Hotel California by The Eagles
- 3. Money For Nothing by Dire Straits
- 2. Layla by Derek & The Dominos
- 1. Stairway To Heaven by Led Zeppelin
By: Marvin v
- 10. Dust In The Wind by Kansas
Released in 1976, this song is my favorite slow song of all time. It's the reason why I play the violin. I could listen to it all day. 'nuff said.
- 9. Hotel California by Eagles
This song requires no comment. It belongs in any top ten list, no matter what anybody says.
- 8. We Are The Champions by Queen
Another song that makes me sing along.
- 7. Stairway To Heaven by Led Zeppelin
This song is one of only three songs I like From Zeppelin but is worthy to be in any top anything songs of all time, anywhere.
- 6. Another Brick In The Wall (Part II) by Pink Floyd
A classic, very good song. I like it, especially the children in the chorus.
- 5. Dance With Me by Orleans
Very soothing to me, I never get bored of this song.
- 4. Dancing Queen by ABBA
I grew up listening to a lot of ABBA, so there you go.
- 3. Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen
I have heard this song so many times in my life and I still like it. A classic.
- 2. Maggie May by Rob Stewart
I like this song for some reason I can't fathom.
- 1. Still The One by Orleans
Love this song, makes me sing along.
There are a lot more songs from the 70's that I like but the list is restricted to only ten. I guess someone out there will agree.
- 10. Fox On The Run by Sweet
- 9. (Don' Fear) The Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult
- 8. A Horse With No Name by America
- 7. Carry On My Wayward Son by Kansas
- 6. Layla by Derek & The Dominos
Great opening guitar. Great piano...
- 5. Maggie May by Rod Stewart
This song is THE best of Rod Stewart.
- 4. Don't Stop by Fleetwood Mac
Great tune, great beat, great song to sing along with.
- 3. Mr. Blue Sky by Electric Light Orchestra
It's just a happy song, it makes you feel happy!!!
- 2. Burnin' For you by Blue Oyster Cult
Great song. It reminds me of music from Sonic the Hedgehog for some reason...
- 1. Dust In The Wind by Kansas
All we are is Dust The Wind...great song, kinda makes you think about life.
- 10. Snoopy Verses The Red Baron by The Royal Guardsmen
- 9. Cecilia by Simon & Garfunkel
- 8. The Night Chicago Died by Paper Lace
- 7. The Streak by Ray Stevens
- 6. Kiss You All Over by Exile
- 5. Sad Eyes by Robert John
- 4. Only Sixteen by Dr. Hook
- 3. Crocodile Rock by Elton John
- 2. Chick-A-Boom by Daddy Dewdrop
- 1. Chevy Van by Sammy Johns
This is my favorite song. I can't get enough of this song.
The 70's had the greatest songs ever.
By: Dave Micklon
- 10. Shadow Dancing by Andy Gibb
Man, this was sooooo much my childhood. One singer gone way too soon. Nice, not-too-fast disco groove that makes me feel wonderful.
- 9. Love Hangover by Diana Ross
The Supreme had so many good tunes in the 70's and 80's, but this stands head and shoulders above all others. Nice slow feel that grooves into a KILLER disco groove! All 7 minutes! WOO WEE!!!
- 8. That's The Way I Like It by KC & The Sunshine Band
Can you see I just LOVE disco? Still another anthem of the dance genre, you can't stop singing "Wooo-ooo-ooo..."!
- 7. Without You by Nilsson
Such a pretty, heartfelt ballad. There were other great versions, including Badfinger's original, but this wonderful singer made it all his own. Love it forever.
- 6. Le Freak by Chic
Awwwww, FREAK OUT! The quintessential disco tune of the late 70's. These disco geniuses should be in the Hall soon!
- 5. Kung Fu Fighting by Carl Douglas
Still another early disco winner. The Kung Fu craze mixed with Biddu's wonderful production.
- 4. Don't Leave Me This Way by Thelma Houston
Another of the best disco songs ever. What a voice.
- 3. I Can Help by Billy Swan
What a cool 50's retro groove with one FIERCE organ!
- 2. Brand New Key by Melanie
The cutest song ever. Put on those skates!
- 1. Rock Your Baby by George McCrae
Simply the best disco song ever made. KC was a producing genius.
The 70's RULE!!! I ranked these actually back in 1986, and they still pretty much hold the same way today. But I've really now gotten into several other artists like the Alan Parsons Project, England Dan & John Ford Coley, Gary Wright, Seals & Crofts, Bread, the Carpenters, and the list goes on and on.
- 10. Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd
Great tune from beginning to end... a LOT to enjoy!
- 9. Dancing Queen by ABBA
Song makes you want to get up and dance... at least I get the urge!
- 8. More Than A Feeling by Boston
Don't know very many people that don't like this one.
- 7. Stairway To Heaven by Led Zeppelin
Classic!!! One of the all-time great songs!
- 6. Crazy On You by Heart
Song gets me everytime! These ladies ROCK!!!
- 5. Hot Blooded by Foreigner
Awesome band, awesome song! Really get you going!
- 4. Carry On Wayward Son by Kansas
This band has to be one of the most talented in the history of music without getting their due props! Very energetic and classic tune!
- 3. Dream On by Aerosmith
A classic!!! Song just sticks in my head like glue. With ease my favorite Aerosmith song.
- 2. Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd
Best Pink Floyd tune. Very smooth, awesome song!
- 1. Turn The Page by Bob Seger
The BEST song of the 70's from the BEST artist!
I could have put down so many tunes it boggles the mind. The 70's rocked and I couldn't even add some tunes from some of my favorite groups like Bad Company, Steve Miller Band, and the Doobie Brothers!!!
By: Chain Lightning
- 10. So Very Hard To Go by Tower of Power
I just love this song.
- 9. Do You Know What I Mean by Lee Michaels
Whoo! Help me! Her & Bobby were steppin' out, her & Bobby didn't know I'd found out...
- 8. Love Is Alive by Gary Wright
Unlike everyone else I knew, "Dream Weaver" never did a thing for me. But this song was a favorite right away and still is.
- 7. Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is? by Chicago
"Call On Me" by Chicago almost tied with this one.
- 6. Moonlight Feels Right by Starbuck
This song just sounds like the 70's--there I am in the apartment I lived in with my family and it's 1976--it's playing on the little radio we had on top of the fridge.
- 5. Sail On Sailor by The Beach Boys
I don't know if I'll ever find anyone who'll agree with me, but this is the best song they ever did.
- 4. Conquistador by Procol Harum
Never get tired of hearing this one. "And though you came with sword held high, you did not conquer, only die".
- 3. The Show Must Go On by Three Dog Night
Incredible version of Leo Sayer's song.
- 2. That's The Way Of The World by Earth, Wind & Fire
Another on my top 10 of all time. It doesn't matter where I am, when I hear this song it's the summer of '75 and I'm back in Sacramento.
- 1. What A Fool Believes by The Doobie Brothers
Is definitely in my top 10 songs of all time not just the decade. I'm just suprised I haven't seen it on anyone's list yet.
Trying to make a list of just 10 songs from the best decade ever for music is impossible....so I have to do the Honorable Mention thing: "Takin It To The Streets", "Take Me In Your Arms (Rock Me)", "Another Park Another Sunday" (all by the Doobie Brothers), "Kodachrome" (Paul Simon), "Keep On Smilin'" (Wet Willie), "Backstabbers" (The O'Jays), "Philadelphia Freedom" (Elton John), "Listen To What The Man Said" (Wings), "Why Can't We Be Friends" (War), "Grease" (Frankie Valli) "Nights On Broadway" (The Bee Gees), TOO many other great songs that I just can't think of right now, and anything by David Bowie!
By: Santiago Castro
- 10. Skyline Pigeon by Elton John
Strange. This is a great song but is always forgot on his greatest hits.
- 9. Heroes by David Bowie
When the music was the thing that he did best.
- 8. Bee Gees by Night Fever
If you saw the film, you heard the music.
- 7. Y.M.C.A. by Village People
When discotheque was the major thing, Village was the greatest.
- 6. Spirit Of Radio by Rush
The 70's were made of many styles. Rock, Pop, Dance... and Rush.
- 5. Imagine by John Lennon
He made better songs. But this one crossed the years.
- 4. Stairway To Heaven by Led Zeppelin
They are great and this song is fabulous.
- 3. Miss You by Rolling Stones
'Stones' and disco music. Can you imagine?
- 2. Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen
Pop music with opera. Mercury in his best moment.
- 1. I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor
The symbol of disco music.
- 10. Asylum by Gary Numan
A very dark and hypnotic song.
- 9. Rock Lobster by B-52s
Very quirky, funny and unique song.
- 8. Superstar by Carpenters
A dark, poignant ballad.
- 7. Every 1's A Winner by Hot Chocolate
Great blend of rock and soul.
- 6. Can We Still Be Friends by Todd Rundgren
- 5. Love Is Like Oxygen (long version) by Sweet
Great intricate song.
- 4. Overnight Sensation (Hit Record) by The Raspberries
Great pop rock song.
- 3. Everytime I Think Of You by Babys
Great power ballad.
- 2. I Feel Love by Donna Summer
Masterfully synthesized song.
- 1. Dream Weaver by Gary Wright
A great, timeless song from a very underrated artist.
'Hotel California' is one of the most overrated albums and songs of all time. The cheese factor is high with this whole album and group. Springsteen is another overrated and hammy artist.
Previous List or Next List
This page currently edited by: CeramicsFanatic. Past editor: ChuckyG
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 80s and 90s
Would You Like To Add Something We Missed?
Please use the submission page to submit information to be used on this page.