Top Ten Songs of the Seventies
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 70s?
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 80s and 90s
By: Xavier Inktomi
- 10. Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You by Led Zeppelin
One of the best acoustic songs ever. Lots of energy from Plant
- 9. Layla by Derek & The Dominos
Rock and piano... awesome combination here.
- 8. Baba O'Reily by The Who
Overall, The Who should probably be higher on the list. They had so many great songs but this one has great energy and Pete Townshend knows his rock & roll.
- 7. Since I've Been Loving You by Led Zeppelin
One of, if not my favorite blues-rock songs.
- 6. Heart Of Gold by Neil Young
Ok, so what if it was a #1 hit? Anyways... Neil Young busts out the acoustic and harmonica for this masterpiece.
- 5. Shine On You Crazy Diamond by Pink Floyd
Tribute to their fallen bandmate and a beautiful guitar solo. Another progressive-rock classic. Gilmour at his best right here...
- 4. Stairway To Heaven by Led Zeppelin
Ok, so everybody else chose it to but it really made them into legends.
- 3. Ziggy Stardust by David Bowie
David Bowie has so many great songs that it's impossible to pick one, but this one appeals to almost anybody... whatever that means.
- 2. Close To The Edge by Yes
Ok, I may be obsessed with long songs but this one is awesome.
- 1. Echoes by Pink Floyd
Maybe only known to the hardcore Floyd fans, but it's my favorite song and I hope some of you listen to this song. If you are not used to 23 minute progressive-rock songs, use this one to get used to.
- 10. Wishing Well by Free
- 9. Roadhouse Blues by The Doors
- 8. Jail Break by AC/DC
- 7. Barracuda by Heart
- 6. Just What I Needed by Cars
- 5. Bad Boy For Love by Rose Tattoo
- 4. Detroit Rock City by KISS
- 3. The Boys Are Back In Town by Thin Lizzy
- 2. Reelin' In The Years by Steely Dan
- 1. Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap by AC/DC
- 10. Ain't Talking 'Bout Love by Van Halen
Came out in 79' so it counts! Excellent guitar riff, the start of a great band!
- 9. The Battle Of Evermore by Led Zeppelin
Incredible redition of the Battle of Pellenor Fields in the Lord of the Rings... no other band could have done this.
- 8. Shine On You Crazy Diamond by Pink Floyd
So many cool guitar/strange sounds parts! I love long songs!
- 7. Bring It On Home by Led Zeppelin
Great trasition from blues to rock!
- 6. Echoes by Pink Floyd
- 5. Ten Years Gone by Led Zeppelin
- 4. Achilles Last Stand by Led Zeppelin
- 3. Foreplay/Longtime by Boston
- 2. No Quarter by Led Zeppelin
In a league within the light.... no other songs compare to these.
- 1. In The Light by Led Zeppelin
Coolest song ever, not much else to say.
Yeah.... at 15 I have amassed every Led Zeppelin song and all the rarities, and they're so much better than anything coming out today... Best bands- Led Zeppelin, Van Halen!
- 10. Sunshine Of Your Love by Cream
Humm ... une fois de plus je ne suis pas sur. Fin 60? Début 70? Très entrainant. Après la chanson t'aimerais encore en ravoir. Tu te vois assis ek 5-6 de tes chums pis fumer une gros pétard non?
- 9. Iron Man by Black Sabbath
- 8. Could You Be Loved by Bob Marley
Mon coté ska/punk parfois regea d'aujourd'hui prend peut-être bien racine en bob marley. !!!
- 7. Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd
Pink Floyd quoi dire d'eux. Ils ont innové comme d'autre mais ... c'est d'eux qu'on se souvient en grand partie. Wish you were here pour des raisons personnel marquantes!
- 6. Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd
Elle joue parfois dans des films relatant les années 70. Elle a toujours ca place. Excellent
- 5. Bohemian Rapsody by Queen
!!!! La voie de Fredy Mercury !!!! L'album a été fait sur un style d'opéra et on le voit !!
- 4. Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin
- 3. Ayoye by Offenbach
J'suis pas sur qu'elle soit des 70's ou du début des années 80 mais peut importe ... elle reste excellente
- 2. Imagine by John Lennon
Tout ce que la chanson entoure. Pour l'époque les paroles représentent beaucoup. Mais pour moi en plus de la chanson elle même, c'est John lennon. Ce grand artiste militant de toute sorte ...
- 1. Stairway To Heaven by Led Zeppelin
Wow, a mon avis la plus grande, la plus merveilleuse. Une des plus longues... presque tous les qualificatifs sont bon pour décrire cette chanson !!!
J'étais pas né . Jn'ai que 17 ans mais j'adore écouter du 70's. J'aurais aimé vivre à cette époque. Bien sur ce que j'imagine d'elle n'est peut-être pas exact mais de ce que j'en entend c'étais FOU!! Jme demande si dans le futur y'a une révolution que ce sois culturel, social (toute ce que vous voulez) dans ce genre qu'il y a eu. J'espère en etre témoin et pouvoir la vivre !!!
By: Wayne Horton
- 10. Don't Leave Me This Way by Thelma Houston
- 9. Sharing The Night Together by Dr. Hook
- 8. I Go Crazy by Paul Davis
- 7. Nice To Be With You by Gallery
- 6. If I Can't Have You by Yvonne Elliman
- 5. Knock Three Times by Dawn
- 4. I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing by New Seekers
- 3. Morning After by Maureen McGovern
- 2. Rock Me Gently by Andy Kim
- 1. Keep Our Love Alive by Patricia Dahlquist
A hard to find song.
If I had another it would be "When Will I See You Again" by Three Degrees. If an error was made. Please let me know.
By: Dan Hamilton
- 10. The Joker by Steve Miller Band
Again...great band, hard to pick just one song, but this is a classic.
- 9. Hey Jude by The Beatles
Hard to pick just one song from the Beatles but this would be it...
- 8. Stairway To Heaven by Led Zeppelin
I'm not a big Zep fan, I think thats why this one is so low...but the lyrics are unbelievable and so is the guitar...
- 7. More Than A Feeling by Boston
Just truly a great song...I can listen to it at anytime.
- 6. Space Oddity by David Bowie
Sad, triumphant and powerful all in the same song...takes us on a 4-minute journey of a lifetime.
- 5. Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd
Greatest solo ever...just beat out 'Sweet Home Alabama', but I only like to put on one song per band...
- 4. Baba O'reilly by The Who
Best intro to a song ever...just gets you going as soon as you here it.
- 3. Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd
This song is unbelievable; it's the best song by maybe the best band ever.
- 2. Piano Man by Billy Joel
Not really sure if this is the seventies but still an amazing song, Joel's voice just captivates you.
- 1. Hotel California by Eagles
This is just an amazing song, one of those songs you can just listen to anytime anywhere and get lost in the song.
This was the best decade for music by far...
By: Steve Jeffery
- 10. The Warrior by Wishbone Ash
Great duel guitar work from the lads from Exeter,U.K. This one is off the brilliant 'Argus' album.
- 9. I Am The Walrus by Spooky Tooth
The heaviest song ever made. Mick Jones (who went on to play guitar with Foreigner) orchestrated this cover of the Lennon classic.
- 8. C'mon by Man
Terrific allegro in the middle section. Also try the live version with one of the top male voice choirs from the bands homeland -- Cymru.
- 7. Supper's Ready by Genesis
Forget the flirtation with Phil Collins's voice and taste the real thing with Peter Gabriel's first band. Even my daughter loves this one.
- 6. The Faith Healer by The Sensational Alex Harvey Band
Typical debauchery from the man from Ecosse.
- 5. The Prologue by Gentle Giant
Rock along to probably the longest guitar riff in the universe.
- 4. The Hamburger Concerto by Focus
Classic arrangements of the St. Something choral by Joseph Hayden and the Dutch masters.
- 3. Good Vibrations by Beach boys
Apparently the vocals were recorded when the band were lying on their backs due to the effects of the green stuff. 'Nuff said.
- 2. Yours Is No Disgrace by Yes
Beautiful arrangements of complex patterns.
- 1. Kashmir by Led Zeppelin
Mixture of Eastern mysticism or possibly cynicism and heavy duty power.
I'll do another one of these in a few weeks time when I've thought of a few more.
By: Shane Watkins
- 10. Glory Of Living by Mike Murphy
Sad, but has a point.
- 9. Escape (The Pina Colada Song) by Rupert Holmes
- 8. Let's Get It On by Marvin Gaye
Don't do anything I wouldn't do because this song will make you want to get it on!
- 7. Feels Like The First Time by Foreigner
Come on over baby! It's love makin' time.
- 6. Long Time by Boston
It's a wonder I ain't deaf!
- 5. Loving You by Minnie Riperton
How did she keep from messing up her throat?
- 4. Margaritaville by Jimmy Buffett
I love this style of music. It makes a bottle of Boons Farm Wine taste that much better. I like Wild Island.
- 3. Hot Stuff by Donna Summer
It makes me dance my butt off!
- 2. Stumblin' In by Susie Quatro & Chris Norman
Ever found yourself stumblin' into a teenage love?
- 1. That Smell by Lynyrd Skynyrd
May be about drugs, but it rocks!
By: Chard & Jester
- 10. Dream On by Aerosmith
- 9. Dream Weaver by Gary Wright
- 8. American Pie by Don McLean
- 7. Smoke On The Water by Deep Purple
- 6. Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen
- 5. Who Are You by Who
- 4. Do You Feel Like I Do by Peter Frampton
- 3. Money by Pink Floyd
- 2. Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd
- 1. Stairway To Heaven by Zeppelin
This is a list of songs we find played most from the 70's They aren't personal favorites. Then we would add like the Clash etc...
- 10. It's A Long Way To The Top by AC/DC
The best Acca Dacca song. The Young boys at their best.
- 9. Smoke On The Water by Deep Purple
What a guitar riff.
- 8. Imagine by John Lennon
Beautiful song with a message.
- 7. Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd
The best southern rock song ever (I like it better than 'Freebird').
- 6. Won't Get Fooled Again by The Who
The Who's defining song. Long, but who cares?
- 5. Hotel California by The Eagles
Still one of the most popular songs today.
- 4. Stayin' Alive by Bee Gees
Paved the way for disco music, probably the most prominent song on 'Saturday Night Fever'.
- 3. American Pie by Don McLean
A classic. No-one can dislike this song.
- 2. Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen
The most unusual song ever, but it works.
- 1. Stairway To Heaven by Led Zeppelin
Most influential rock song ever.
This was hard. There are many others I could have out in, ie. songs by people like Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, Bruce Springsteen, The Stones, Eric Clapton, KISS, Elton John, David Bowie and Fleetwood Mac to name but a few.
Previous List or Next List
This page currently edited by: CeramicsFanatic. Past editor: ChuckyG
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 80s and 90s
Would You Like To Add Something We Missed?
Please use the submission page to submit information to be used on this page.