Top Ten Songs of the Seventies
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 70s?
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 80s and 90s
- 10. Bat Out Of Hell by Meat Loaf
- 9. Trick Of The Tail by Genesis
Uni rockers at their best.
- 8. You Angel You by Manfred Mann
From Angel Station, neglected album.
- 7. Haitian Divorce by Steely Dan
Wonderful distortion on Becker's guitar.
- 6. Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd
- 5. Paranoid by Black Sabbath
Takes me back.
- 4. Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen
- 3. Shine On You Crazy Diamond by Pink Floyd
A tribute to Sid Barrett, founding member of Pink Floyd.
- 2. Goodbye Stranger by Supertramp
- 1. Do It Again by Steely Dan
This has been my favourite song forever. I played it last night to a pal, he had heard it before but didn't appreciate the guitar solo by Walter Becker. Please listen to it soon and be blown away.
I am happy with my list.
By: Jesus Of Suburbia
- 10. Star Wars Theme by John Williams
What's greater than Star Wars? "Luke, I am your FATHER..." Again, kind of gets you into it. Granted not a real radio song, but generations far into the future will still be able to recognize it.
- 9. Bridge Over Troubled Water by Simon & Garfunkel
I guess I also have a thing for the slow ones...
- 8. Grease by Frankie Valli
This song ALWAYS gets you going and ready to watch the movie...I know, shame on me.
- 7. Big Yellow Taxi by Joni Mitchell
I have a thing for songs that soung like this...
- 6. Another Brick In The Wall by Pink Floyd
Who can deny this song? It's great...all parts.
- 5. Hey Jude by The Beatles
Just because they're the Beatles.
- 4. Imagine by John Lennon
After their breakup, the Beatles (as Solo Artists) were still hits. This one STILL grabs me.
- 3. Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd
One of the greats... Long song, but still...who can deny Lynyrd Skynyrd?
- 2. Go Your Own Way by Fleetwood Mac
They were great, and still are. They actually made a new CD, which is okay. Their "older" stuff is better.
- 1. Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen
Now, in this time, this song has lasted. To a certain point, Freddie Mercury has hit the musical nerve in everybody.
There are still TONS of other songs to consider, just, these are what I thought to post here.
By: Keith W
- 10. Since You've Been Gone by Rainbow
May have been early 80's, but what a song.
- 9. Stairway To Heaven by Led Zeppelin
- 8. Hey Joe by Jimi Hendrix
- 7. More Than A Feeling by Boston
- 6. Chinatown by Thin Lizzy
- 5. Lazy by Deep Purple
Best bluesy rock song I have ever heard.
- 4. 2112 by Rush
Neil Peart, best drummer ever. Musically fantastic.
- 3. Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd
Needs no introduction. One, if not the best song of all time.
- 2. Gates On Babylon by Rainbow
What a song! What can I say other than it's epic!
- 1. Smoke On The Water by Deep Purple
Best riff of all time...has to be number 1!
I know I've probably missed a few but that's what came into my head from the best era ever of music. Unfortunately music like this will never be repeated or matched.
- 10. Rock And Roll by Led Zeppelin
- 9. Hello It's Me by Todd Rundgren
- 8. Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen
- 7. Kashmir by Led Zepplein
- 6. Rock And Roll All Nite by KISS
- 5. Light My Fire by The Doors
- 4. Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd
- 3. Hotel California by The Eagles
- 2. Dream On by Aerosmith
- 1. Stairway To Heaven by Led Zeppelin
Honorable Mention: Black Dog, Walk This Way, Dogs.
- 10. Maggie May by Rod Stewart
How can you not love this song.
- 9. Y.M.C.A by Village People
We've all had fun with this song at a New Year's party. Just a classic.
- 8. The Hustle by Van McCoy
This song defined the disco era. It just makes you want to get up and dance.
- 7. Draggin' The Line by Tommy James
This song just makes you feel really cool.
- 6. Dream Weaver by Gary Wright
I love this song. Everybody should have this song in their collection.
- 5. Summer Breeze by Seals & Crofts
This song reminds me of those days in the summer that just can't be more perfect.
- 4. Margaritaville by Jimmy Buffett
Everyone at one point in their life has always thought of going to Margaritaville, and if you haven't been, this song definitely puts you there.
- 3. Killing Me Softly With His Song by Roberta Flack
It's not just the words, it's the way she sings this song that makes it her own.
- 2. Fire And Rain by James Taylor
This is my favorite song from James. He's a great songwriter.
- 1. Philadelphia Freedom by Elton John
Elton is in a class by himself. This song is great!
These songs are just a few of the many great songs that came from the 70's. An era of music that will live on forever in our hearts and souls.
- 10. Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd
Gilmour at his best
- 9. Stairway To Heaven by Led Zepplin
Good guitar solo from song remains the same
- 8. Heaven And Hell by The Who
Best live performance ever on stage by any group(isle of wight, woodstock)
- 7. Star Spangled Banner by Jimi Hendrix
Again woodstock . this song is woodstock in one word
- 6. With Alittle Help From My Friends by Joe Cocker
Ultimate woodstock song
- 5. Child In Time by Deep Purple
Gillan silver throated screaming cannot be matched.
- 4. Paranoid by Grand Funk Railroad
The live version is ultimate heavy metal from america
- 3. Empty Rooms(long Version) by Gary Moore
Sweetish guitar sound ever. even the live is awesome
- 2. Mistreated by Deep Purple
Blackmores peak blues performance
- 1. Still In Love With You by Thin Lizzy
The best power love song ever. listen to the 2 guitar solos in every version of the song from gary moore to brian robertson
All guitar solos orientated songs . listen to the sound of the axe .They will blow u away
By: Susan Merriman
- 10. Tiger Feet by Mud
Cheesy but I loved it
- 9. Do Anything You Wanna Do by Eddie & The Hotrods
This brings it all back to me
- 8. Flying by The Strawbs
- 7. Teenage Kicks by The Undertones
This was about when I started to get teenage kicks
- 6. Rat Trap by Boomtown Rats
I liked this a lot
- 5. Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen
You can't get away with not mentioning this.
- 4. Life's a Gas by T Rex
I loved Marc to bits.
- 3. Leaf and Stream by Wishbone Ash
They were my heroes
- 2. Persephone by Wishbone Ash
- 1. Lady Fuchsia by The Strawbs
By The Way, I am British and no one else has mentioned the Strawbs and they were brilliant!!
There are far many more!!
- 10. Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo by Rick Derringer
- 9. Funk No. 49 by James Gang
- 8. All Right Now by Free
- 7. I Just Wanna Make Love To You by FogHat
- 6. Free Ride by Edgar Winter Group
- 5. Highway Star by Deep Purple
- 4. Sweet Emotion by Aerosmith
- 3. Paranoid by Black Sabbath
- 2. Stranglehold by Ted Nugent
- 1. School's Out by Alice Cooper
I call this the 70's Pure Rock 'n' Roll list.
- 10. The Ocean by Led Zeppelin
- 9. Paranoid by Black Sabbath
- 8. Jukebox Hero by Foreigner
- 7. Layla by Derek and the Dominoes
- 6. Locomotive Breath by Jethro Tull
- 5. Freebird by Lynard Skynard
- 4. Hotel California by The Eagles
- 3. Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen
- 2. Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin
- 1. Simple Man by Lynard Skynard
- 10. Free Ride by Edgar Winter
wow, Edgar was freaky
- 9. Blue Collar by Bto
Before they became hard three chord rockers.
- 8. Hello Its Me by Todd Rudgren
Just a darn good song
- 7. I'm Not In Love by 10cc
Beatle could of done this one
- 6. Slow Ride by Foghat
turn it up
- 5. If I Could Read Your Mind by Gordon Lightfoot
still play this one
- 4. Good Bye Yellow Brick Road by Elton John
Elton nailed this one
- 3. Won't Get Fooled Again by The Who
- 2. Taxi by Harry Chapin
It was raining in......
- 1. Imagine by John Lennon
Still gets to you
Previous List or Next List
This page currently edited by: CeramicsFanatic. Past editor: ChuckyG
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 80s and 90s
Would You Like To Add Something We Missed?
Please use the submission page to submit information to be used on this page.