Top Ten Songs of the Seventies
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 70s?
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 80s and 90s
- 10. Pinball Wizard by The Who
- 9. Don't Step On The Grass, Sam by Steppenwolf
Absolute favorite of theirs.
- 8. Fortunate Son by CCR
- 7. The Joker by Steve Miller Band
- 6. Kashmir by Led Zeppelin
Better than Stairway by far.
- 5. Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen
- 4. Imagine by John Lennon
- 3. Dark Side Of The Moon (Whole Album) by Pink Floyd
I bought this on vinyl but I also has this on CD. This is one of the greatest albums on vinyl there is.
- 2. Simple Man by Lynyrd Skynyrd
- 1. You Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC
Basically, I was born in the wrong time. I can't stand most of what is put out today, what is called music. This is where I find my comfort and home is in this music.
- 10. Long Live Rock by The Who
OK I couldn't resist. I had to come back to them. This is, for me, the ultimate rock anthem and so it had to get in here.
- 9. Highway To Hell by AC/DC
Brilliant, especially when played very very loud. Like most of the stuff on this list really.
- 8. Fanfare For The Common Man by Emerson, Lake & Palmer
I don't know how long I've been listening to this, but I do know it's a long time. ELP were the first rock band I liked and I still think they're wonderful.
- 7. Smoke On The Water by Deep Purple
Weird, beautiful, fantastic. First heard it on Planet Rock like most of this list and loved it instantly. Fantastic story behind it too.
- 6. Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen
You don't know this song if you haven't sung it in four part harmony with a school choir in blazers and black and gold ties. Trust me on this. I sang it, listened to it and learned to love Queen. It's long and it's fantastic.
- 5. I'm Free by Roger Daltrey
A fantastic song, sung by my idol. I had to get him in here somewhere, I just can't keep away from the 'oo.
- 4. Stairway To Heaven by Led Zeppelin
How could I possibly miss this one out? Love it, love it, love it. Especially when you play it backwards.
- 3. Free Bird by Lynnrd Skynyrd
My Mum is a very good driver, we don't need a rollercoaster to have a rollercoaster ride, we just need Mum, the Pennines and Free Bird. We have all three and it's brilliant. Play it loud and often.
- 2. God Gave Rock And Roll To You by Argent
This was released in 1972 first, but then covered by Kiss which is the version I know. However, as it was first released in the 70s it gets into this list. I love this song, I think it's fantastic, especially when played very very loud.
- 1. The Song Is Over by The Who
I clould fill my list five times over with The Who. I think they're the greatest band ever, since I started listening to them in March (it's now June) I've listened to most of their songs and own most of their albums. I chose this one because it's the one that got me listening to them properly in the first place. It's a great song with beautiful lyrics and it's great fun to sing.
Pay no attention to the order really, they're all joint second, with the exception of The Song Is Over which gets in at number 1. This list could be full of The Who but I resisted the temptation (mainly). These are my favourite bands, I just chose my favourite song by each band from this period. There is so much I want to put in here, ABBA and Diana Ross being two of those who are missing. But I still think that this lot are the cream of the cream.
By: Jim Love
- 10. Georgia by Boz Scaggs
- 9. After The Love Has Gone by Earth, Wind & Fire
- 8. Still by The Commodores
- 7. Hotel California by The Eagles
- 6. Sara Smile by Hall & Oates
- 5. Don't Go Breaking My Heart by Elton John & Kiki Dee
- 4. Whenever I Call You 'Friend' by Kenny Loggins & Stevie Nicks
- 3. Second Time Around by Shalamar
- 2. Last Dance by Donna Summers
The Queen of Disco
- 1. How Deep Is Your Love by Bee Gees
Greatest love song - ever!
By: Ryan Love
- 10. My Way by Sex Pistols
Punk will always live on thanks to the Sex Pistols and Sid.
- 9. Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd
What can I say... this song is sweeeeet.
- 8. Poison by Alice Cooper
Great song to sit back and listen to while having a cold one at the pub.
- 7. The Boys Are Back In Town by Thin Lizzy
Just a great all round song.
- 6. Anarchy In The Uk by Sex Pistols
What they've done and how they went about doing it was just mad. They are one of the greatest of all time.
- 5. Long Way To The Top by AC/DC
Great band, great film clip.
- 4. Smoke On The Water by Deep Purple
Best to listen to this one with the volume on max.
- 3. Stairway To Heaven by Led Zeppelin
For having such a slow beat it still gets you in the mood to party.
- 2. Paranoid by Black Sabbath
Sabbath were just out there and no one can match the way they played.
- 1. Am I Gonna See Your Face Again by The Angels
A great pub song to get everyone in the singing mood just for the unwritten lyrics. Great Aussie band and song.
Great bands like these should be played on the radio more than all the new crap off the charts which are more about sex than song.
- 10. Sandy - 4th of July, Asbury Park by Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band
- 9. Piano Man by Billy Joel
- 8. Sympathy For The Devil by Rolling Stones
- 7. Space Oddity by David Bowie
- 6. Imagine by John Lennon
- 5. Racing In The Streets by Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band
- 4. Jungleland by Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band
- 3. Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen
- 2. Smoke On The Water by Deep Purple
- 1. Born To Run by Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band
- 10. Sugar Magnolia by Greatful Dead
I'm not really a Dead Head but I think it's a great song, it's got this energetic, straightforward quality I love.
- 9. Carry On Wayward Son by Kansas
A classic song and I love how it starts out with the chorus and then goes into a long instrumental section before the real song begins...it's a cool arrangement.
- 8. Feel Like Makin' Love by Bad Company
I couldn't decide between this and 'Deal With The Preacher' from the same record...but I figured this is the one most people would recognize since the other wasn't a hit.
- 7. Never Been Any Reason by Head East
What a great one-hit wonder...and I love the album cover of Head East in a diner eating pancakes.
- 6. Barracuda by Heart
Driving and gritty. Not at all sappy like some of Heart's 80s stuff. I love this song.
- 5. Midnight Runaway by Three Dog Night
Underrated, perfectly performed...Chuck Negron's vocals are my favorite part because you can really hear the anger and bitterness.
- 4. Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen
One of the best classic rock songs. Ever.
- 3. Thunder Island by Jay Ferguson
This song is like a movie for me--I can picture everything. There's just something visual about it.
- 2. Waiting For An Alibi by Thin Lizzy
Again I love Thin Lizzy losts of songs could go on here...I like the lyrics too, about someone who's gambling his life away.
- 1. More Than A Feeling by Boston
There are so many great Boston songs but I think this one is my favorite.
Being born in 1990 I didn't get to live through the 70s, but I sure wish I had. Today's music just can't compete. By the way my top 10 are in no particular order, I just filled them in as they came to me. Peace.
By: Gerson Ceni
- 10. Lola by The Kinks
- 9. Five Years by David Bowie
- 8. Still...You Turn Me On by Emerson, Lake & Palmer
- 7. If I Had The Time by Uriah Heep
- 6. Dancing With The Moonlit Knight by Genesis
- 5. Evil Ways by Santana
- 4. I Put A Spell On You by Creedence Clearwater Revival
- 3. Smoke On The Water by Deep Purple
- 2. Paranoid by Black Sabbath
- 1. Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin
By: Ron Saunders
- 10. Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey by Paul McCartney
When I first heard it I thought it was The Beatles.
- 9. I'd Really Love To See You Tonight by England Dan & John Ford Coley
Cheesy but fun.
- 8. Baby Come Back by Player
I was amazed one day when I heard this song blaring from a Mexican'c car stereo. Loved all over the world.
- 7. Everlasting Love by Andy Gibb
This is on almost all of my 70's songlists.
- 6. Young American by David Bowie
What can I say? Great song.
- 5. Sir Duke by Stevie Wonder
Reminds me of summertime when I was young.
- 4. So Into You by Atlanta Rhythm Section
Great song from a highly underrated group.
- 3. Mr. Blue Sky by ELO
Best of many great songs by this amazing group.
- 2. Oye Como Va by Santana
Graet cover of Tito Fuentes.
- 1. Blinded By The Light by Manfred Mann's Earth Band
They took a good Springsteen song and made it great.
- 10. Take The Long Way Home by Supertramp
- 9. Portrait Of Tracy by Jaco Pastorius
- 8. Close To The Edge by Yes
- 7. Child In Time by Deep Purple
- 6. Teen Town by Weather Report
- 5. Wild Horses by The Rolling Stones
- 4. Riders On The Storm by The Doors
- 3. Since I've Been Loving You by Led Zeppelin
- 2. Shine On You Crazy Diamond by Pink Floyd
- 1. Love Reign O'er Me by The Who
By: a boy that is 13 and loves to rock
- 10. Children Of The Grave by Black Sabbath
- 9. Killing Yourself To Live by Black Sabbath
- 8. Dazed And Confused by Led Zeppelin
- 7. Good Times Bad Times by Led Zeppelin
- 6. All Of My Love by Led Zeppelin
- 5. Kashmir by Led Zeppelin
- 4. Going To California by Led Zeppelin
- 3. Houses Of The Holy by Led Zeppelin
- 2. The Ocean by Led Zeppelin
- 1. Over The Hills And Far Away by Led Zeppelin
ROCK ON EVERYONE!!!
Previous List or Next List
This page currently edited by: CeramicsFanatic. Past editor: ChuckyG
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 80s and 90s
Would You Like To Add Something We Missed?
Please use the submission page to submit information to be used on this page.