Top Ten Songs of the Seventies
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 70s?
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 80s and 90s
By: Donna Bradley
- 10. Roxie Roller by Nick Gilder
- 9. Ballroom Blitz by Sweet
- 8. Beth by KISS
I think this is the nicest ballad they ever recorded.
- 7. Madman Across The Water by Elton John
- 6. Bennie & The Jets by Elton John
- 5. Band On The Run by Paul McCartney & Wings
- 4. Stairway To Heaven by Led Zeppelin
- 3. Another Brick In The Wall by Pink Floyd
- 2. Horse With No Name by America
- 1. You Should Be Dancing by Bee Gees
Probably the best funky dance song, though they've written many hits.
Other mentions: Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen, Dyer Maker by Led Zeppelin, Black Dog by Led Zeppelin, Dust In The Wind by Kansas, Spirits Having Flown by the Bee Gees, Fly Away by John Denver, One Of These Nights by the Eagles.
- 10. Jean Genie by David Bowie
The memories just come flooding back when I hear this. Album of the seventies number 10..Strangers In The Night-U.F.O.
- 9. Band On The Run by Wings
A great song from the master of melody. Album of the seventies number 9..Band On The Run-Wings.
- 8. Jailbreak by Thin Lizzy
What is there to say? Album of the seventies number 8..Tubular Bells-Mike Oldfield.
- 7. Every Day Hurts by Sad Cafe
They may have been a one hit wonder..but what a hit!! Album of the seventies number 7..Tommy-The Who(not the crap soundtrack)
- 6. Sunshine After The Rain by Elkie Brooke
She's remembered for 'Pearl's A Singer'..what crap compared to this. Album of the seventies number 6..Obsession-U.F.O.
- 5. Hotel California by The Eagles
I wasn't an Eagles fan in the seventies, but how times change. Album of the seventies number 5..Hotel California-The Eagles.
- 4. I'm Not In Love by 10cc
Just fantastic songwriting. Album of the seventies number 4..Dark Side Of The Moon-Pink Floyd.
- 3. The Boys Are Back In Town by Thin Lizzy
All 10 of my choices would be Lizzy, but I thought I'd give all the others a chance. Album of the seventies number 3..Venus And Mars-Wings.
- 2. Stay With Me 'Til Dawn by Judy Tzuke
Pure feel. Album of the seventies number 2..Johnny The Fox-Thin Lizzy.
- 1. Music by John Miles
This is a long forgotten one. By the way, my album of the seventies would be Thin Lizzy's Jailbreak.
By: Ben R
- 10. Great Gig In The Sky by Pink Floyd
Great vocal cool drums...from 'Dark Side Of The Moon'.
- 9. Shine On You Crazy Diamond by Pink Floyd
'Shine on you crazy diamond'!!! Sucha good song. From 'Wish You Were Here'.
- 8. Is There Anybody Out There by Pink Floyd
A cool guitar part and cool song. From 'The Wall'.
- 7. Breath In The Air by Pink Floyd
A cool beginner on 'Dark Side Of The Moon'.
- 6. Hey You by Pink Floyd
'The Wall'... my fav album and this song is awsome!!!
- 5. Have A Cigar by Pink Floyd
A hip song easy to dig...from 'Wish You Were Here'.
- 4. Time by Pink Floyd
A cool song that's easy to listen to. From 'Dark Side Of The Moon'.
- 3. Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd
A sad song, but one to listen to over and over again. From 'Wish You Were Here'.
- 2. Money by Pink Floyd
Ahhh... 'Money'... the sweet song that everyone gets into. From 'Dark Side Of The Moon'.
- 1. Any Color You Like by Pink Floyd
I'm just a kid, but Pink Floyd has been my fav for years and this one is a classic!!
I love other bands like Rush, The Who, Zeppelin, The Beatles, Van Halen, Beach Boys, Iron Maiden, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Boston, Cheap Trick, David Bowie, The Rolling Stones, etc... well bye!
By: Raghavan Balaji
- 10. Sultans Of Swing by Dire Straits
This one gets into your blood...at least mine........
- 9. Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen
Cool song........and it has Freddie Mercury, 'nuff said!
- 8. Stairway To Heaven by Led Zeppelin
- 7. Take Me Home, Country Roads by John Denver
Why bother describing this one.......we all have a home we yearn for..........this song cuts across all divides.
- 6. Daddy Cool by Boney M
One of the few groups whose singers can really carry a tune. Go BoneyM........
- 5. In The Navy by Village People
Village People singing this one........what else do you need?
- 4. Kung-Fu Fighting by Carl Douglas
One-hit wonder...but immortalized the singer.
- 3. Cat's In The Cradle by Harry Chapin
Something about this song that's endearing.........
- 2. The Hustle by Van McCoy
THE Disco anthem!
- 1. Stayin' Alive by Bee Gees
Play this one in a nightclub and see what happens!
Honorary mention: The Chain, by Fleetwood Mac.....and several others too numerous to mention here!
By: Michelle Roy
- 10. Over The Hills And Far Away by Led Zeppelin
- 9. Magic Bus by The Who
- 8. Tiny Dancer by Elton John
- 7. Ramble On by Led Zeppelin
- 6. Signs by Five Man Electical Band
- 5. Hello, I Love You by The Doors
I LOVE JIM MORRISON!
- 4. One Of These Nights by The Eagles
- 3. Friends by Led Zeppelin
- 2. You Can't Always Get What You Want by The Rolling Stones
- 1. Bron Y Aur Stomp by Led Zeppelin
Obviously the best band ever!
By: Bart Grady
- 10. Woman From Tokyo by Deep Purple
- 9. Night Moves by Bob Seger
- 8. Honky Tonk Women by The Rolling Stones
- 7. China Groove by The Doobie Brothers
- 6. Waitin' for the Bus / Jesus Just Left Chicago by ZZ Top
- 5. It's A Long Way To The Top by AC/DC
- 4. Stranglehold by Ted Nugent
- 3. That Smell by Lynyrd Skynyrd
- 2. Paradise By The Dashboard Light by Meat Loaf
- 1. Cheeseburger In Paradise by Jimmy Buffett
These are not in particular order, all of them could be #1 on a given mood. So many more left out, it should be a top 25 list.
By: Amare Stoudemire
- 10. Paranoid by Black Sabbath
These are the top 10 songs in no order and off the top of my head right now!
- 9. Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd
- 8. Renegade by Styx
- 7. The Wanton Song by Led Zeppelin
- 6. Piece Of Mind by Boston
- 5. London Calling by The Clash
- 4. Dream On by Aerosmith
- 3. Angie by The Rolling Stones
- 2. Stairway To Heaven by Led Zeppelin
- 1. Urgent by Foreigner
- 10. Highway Star by Deep Purple
The best verses ever. Keyboard solo and guitar solo. One of the best choruses EVER!
- 9. American Woman by The Guess Who
- 8. Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd
- 7. Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd
The solo at the end is so sweet.
- 6. Hotel California by The Eagles
- 5. Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen
All three parts of this song are amazing. Great solos.
- 4. Money by Pink Floyd
AWESOME RIFF. AWESOME VERSES. AWESOME GUITAR SOLO. The Dark Side Of The Moon is classic.
- 3. Iron Man by Black Sabbath
The second most unforgettable riff of all time.
- 2. Smoke On The Water by Deep Purple
This riff is absolutley unforgettable. Machine Head is one of my favourite albums. Crazy guitar solo.
- 1. Stairway To Heaven by Led Zeppelin
One of the best songs of all time!
AC/DC is my favourite band. Whole Lotta Rosie, Dirty Deeds (Done Dirt Cheap), Highway To Hell and TNT could have made the list. The Who's Pinball Wizard could have. Neil Young's Rockin In The Free World too...
By: Donna S.
- 10. Paradise By The Dashboard Light by Meat Loaf
- 9. Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen
- 8. Us And Them by Pink Floyd
- 7. Halo Of Flies by Alice Cooper
- 6. Sweet Emotion by Aerosmith
- 5. Heroes by David Bowie
- 4. Kashmir by Led Zeppelin
- 3. Hide In Your Shell by Supertramp
- 2. Paradise/The Spell by Uriah Heep
- 1. Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd
So much great music from the 70's. As a matter of fact, all the best music came from the 70's, excluding disco of course.
- 10. Takin' Care Of Business by Bachman-Turner Overdrive
This is a cool song... definitely my fav BTO song.
- 9. Don't Do It by The Band
Awesome jazz sound with a rock and roll beat and great piano.
- 8. Eat A Peach by Allman Brothers Band
GREAT SONG... definitely my pick from Allman Bros... great solos and I love the piano, just can't get enough of it!
- 7. Baba O'Reily by The Who
Love this song also... great into with the keyboard... rediculously hard to play...believe me, I know...just like a Teenage Wasteland!
- 6. Who Are You by The Who
Who are you? Awesome song... one of my favorites by The Who... Moon is so good at drums but Bonham is my all-time favorite.
- 5. Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd
Favorite song to listen to when I'm sad, or on a rainy day...great acoustic guitar sound at the beginning.
- 4. Band On The Run by Wings
Awesome song from The Wings... WOO HOO... defines the band Wings!
- 3. When The Levee Breaks by Led Zeppelin
My all-time favorite song to play on drums! Just blows my mind how creative they are...recording the drums # STORIES UP IN A STAIRWELL!
- 2. Good Times Bad Times by Led Zeppelin
One of the craziest songs on bass, drums and guitar... not to mention the vocals... great tune.
- 1. Ten Years Gone by Led Zeppelin
This song is hands down one of Zeppelin's best...forget Stairway To Heaven...it's great, but not that great.
Anywaym these are my top picks... I think they were all written in the 70s...I forget... lol... it was a long time before me okay!
Previous List or Next List
This page currently edited by: CeramicsFanatic. Past editor: ChuckyG
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 80s and 90s
Would You Like To Add Something We Missed?
Please use the submission page to submit information to be used on this page.