Top Ten Songs of the Seventies
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 70s?
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 80s and 90s
- 10. Tangled up in Blue by Bob Dylan
His last great song.
- 9. Night Moves by Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band
I think we've all looked for some night moves.
- 8. Trampled Under Foot by Led Zeppelin
Zeppelin gets funky and it works like mad!
- 7. Layla by Derek and the Domioes
Clapton's finest moment.
- 6. Won't Get Fooled Again by The Who
Meet the new boss... One of the great screams in rock history.
- 5. Loves Me Like a Rock by Paul Simon
What a great song. The gospel choir adds immensely! Who do you think you're fooling?
- 4. Imagine by John Lennon
One of the true beautiful moments of rock and roll history.
- 3. Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen
What needs to be said about this?
- 2. Superstition by Stevie Wonder
I dare you to not tap your toes.
- 1. Brown Sugar by The Rolling Stones
Possibly the best moment for the Greatest Band in the World.
Ten songs are hard to choose. Tomorrow, I would probably come up with ten different ones. BTW, whoever was asking about Right Back Where We Started, the artist was Maxine Nightingale.
- 10. Jump In My Car by Tmg
WE ARE NOW UP TO CLASSIC SONG #10 TMG,ALONG WITH HUSH,SHERBET,SKYHOOKS AND OL '55 ONE OF THE CLASSIC AUSSIC BANDS OF THE SEVENTIES. SAW THEM AT THE 4KQ 50TH BIRTHDAY CONCERT IN 1997.
- 9. Warm Ride by Graham Bonnet
CLASSIC DISCO SONG BY A ONE TIME MEMBER OF SIXTIES BAND. THE MARBLES,WHO HAD A HIT IN 1968 WITH 'ONLY ONE WOMAN' GRAHAM NOW RESIDES IN ADELAIDE
- 8. Emma by Hot Chocolate
YET ANOTHER CLASSIC SONG BY YET ANOTHER CLASSIC BAND OF THE CLASSIC DECADE KNOWN AS THE SEVENTIES. IT IS A TEAR-JEAKER THOUGH IT HAS NEVER BROUGHT ME TO TEARS.
- 7. Daytona Demon by Suzi Quatro
ANOTHER CLASSIC SONG BY ANOTHER CLASSIC SEVENTIES ARTIST.SUZI PLAYED LEATHER TUSCORADO ON HAPPY DAYS.
- 6. Evie (parts 1,2+3 by Stevie Wright
CLASSIC SONG BY EX-EASYBEAT #1 IN AUSTRALIA 1974
- 5. Love And Other Bruises by Air Supply
CLASSIC SONG BY CLASSIC AUSSIE BAND OF LATE 70'S/EARLY 80'S REACHED #5 IN 1976
- 4. Lay Your Love On Me by Racey
ONE OF THE FIRST KEYBOARD BASED SONGS.AUSSIE NUMBER #1 FOR THE BAND IN 1979 AND BIGGEST SELLING SINGLE OF THE YEAR AS WELL.
- 3. Horror Movie by Skyhooks
BIGGEST AUSSIE SINGLE OF '75 SKYHOOKS AND SHERBET BATTLED IT OUT FOR NUMBER ONE IN THE 70'S
- 2. Eagle Rock by Daddy Cool
ANOTHER AUSSIE CLASSIC OF THE SEVENTIES AND A NUMBER ONE FOR BAND FRONTED BY ROSS WILSON WHO ALSO FRONTED MONDO ROCK IN THE EARLY '80S
- 1. Howzat by Sherbet
BAND'S ONLY #1 IN AUSTRALIA AND ONLY HIT OVERSEAS. FAV BAND OF THE 70'S AND BIGGEST AUSTRALIN BAND OF THE DECADE.WON BEST GROUP AWARD IN AUSTRALIA EVERY YEAR FROM '73 TO '78
- 10. Landslide by Fleetwood Mac
ahahaha love it!
- 9. Go Your Own Way by Fleetwood Mac
- 8. Magnet and Steel by Walter Egan
Also featuring Fleetwood Mac's Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks.
- 7. Gold Dust Woman by Fleetwood Mac
- 6. Black Betty by Ram Jam
- 5. Gold by John Stewart
If you listen u can hear Stevie Nicks on back up.
- 4. Whenever I Call You Friend by Kenny Loggins and Stevie Nicks
No comment self explanitory.
- 3. Its a Heartache by Bonnie Tyler
Love her raspy voice!
- 2. Hotel California by The Eagles
Love the oh so famous voice of Don Henley
- 1. Rhiannon by Fleetwood Mac
Great song, Stevie Nicks' voice is so ausome!
Lets face it Stevie Nicks was the queen of the 70s
- 10. Don't Fear The Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult
Great melodic song.
- 9. Layla by Derek and the Dominoes (Eric Clapton)
Classic song on a great album.
- 8. All Right Now by Free
Paul Rodgers has the perfect classic rock voice.
- 7. Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd
Hard to choose just one song by such a great group but this one's it.
- 6. Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd
Great song with one of the longest and best solos ever.
- 5. Stairway To Heaven by Led Zeppelin
Can't leave an epic like this off. You haven't lived until you've heard this song.
- 4. Dream On by Aerosmith
Their first hit and the best. Steven Tyler's vocals rock.
- 3. More Than A Feeling by Boston
Classic 70's. Classic Boston.
- 2. Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen
How anyone could compose a masterpiece like this is beyond me.
- 1. Hotel California by Eagles
A classic. Great mysterious lyrics and an awesome solo.
There are so many great songs and artists in the 70's it's hard to just to narrow it down to 10 songs.
- 10. Somethings wrong with me by Austin Roberts
dont know why I just like this tune
- 9. Baker Street by Gerry Raferty
story of my life!!
- 8. Thunder Island by Jay Ferguson
one line....Making love in the wet grass!!
- 7. Diamond Girl by Seals & Croft
What can you say ..great tune
- 6. Nights are forever without you by England Dan & John ford Coley
Love this song makes your heart turn to mush
- 5. Love will find away by Pablo cruise
just a feel good song
- 4. I Love You by Climax Blues Band
relates to a special time in my life
- 3. Love is like oxygen by Sweet
love the guitar riff in this song
- 2. Shanon by Henry Gross
I cry every time I hear this song
- 1. Beth by KISS
KISS owned the 70s
This was a hard list...so much good music came from the 70s....Keep Rockin
- 10. Are You Old Enough by Dragon
Here's to you Marc up there in heaven.
- 9. Gold by John Stewart
This catchy little tune still hums in my brain.
- 8. Slipping Away by Max Merritt
Not sure which eye was looking at you but what a simple great song!
- 7. Yesterday's Hero by John Paul Young
Thank god they did not use this in Priscilla Queen of the desert!
- 6. Mama Mia by Abba
What can I say, I had a crush on the blonde(girl that is)!
- 5. Take A Long Line by The Angels/Angel City(USA)
Doc Neeson knows how to belt out some Aussie Hard Rock music.
- 4. Fox On The Run by The Sweet
Glam Rock came of age!
- 3. Long Way To The Top by AC/DC
Bon Scott will never die!
- 2. More Than A Feeling by Boston
Huge hit that never dates
- 1. Eagle Rock by Daddy Cool
An Australian Anthem
Maybe a bit more of an Australian feel. Thank god and the ABC for Countdown and to a lesser extent, Ian Molly Meldrum! HUMDRUM!
By: Nascar Jimmy
- 10. Lady by Styx
Gotta Have At Least 1 Styx Song !!!!!
- 9. Saturday Nite by Bay City Rollers
What a Skate Song !!!(Remember Those Sat Nites )
- 8. More Than A Feeling by Boston
- 7. Dust In The Wind by Kansas
A Must Have On a 70's Survey.
- 6. The Nite Chicago Died by Paper Lace
AM Radio Favorite !!!!
- 5. Shambala by 3 Dog Nite
C'mon We All Know The Words To This One !!!
- 4. Wild Cherry by Ohio Players
So Many Memories .
- 3. Seasons In The Son by Terry Jacks
Just Love This One !!!!
- 2. Cats In The Cradle by Harry Chapin
Made Me Think About How I Wanna Be As Dad !!!!(Or Dont Wanna Be )
- 1. Cherry Hill Park by Billy Joe Royal
Grew Up In A Town With A Cherry Hill Park. (Cedar Rapids, Iowa)
So Many Many More ( Gotta Love The 70's). You Could Actually Understand The Words !!!!!
By: Stephen Lynch
- 10. Renegade by Styx
Styx pre ballad years.
- 9. Heart Of Gold by Neil Young
Neil Young found gold with this song.
- 8. Say Goodbye To Hollywood by Billy Joel
Great, great song.
- 7. Woman From Tokyo by Deep Purple
- 6. Mamma Mia by ABBA
Abba at it's finest.
- 5. Breakfast In America by Supertramp
Late '70s Classic.
- 4. Sister Golden Hair by America
- 3. Hot Blooded by Foreigner
This song will get your blood pumping.
- 2. Detroit Rock City by KISS
What Rock & Roll is all about.
- 1. Hotel California by Eagles
By: Paul Stadden
- 10. Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd
David Gilmour is an excellent songwriter. His solo is excellent.
- 9. Hotel California by The Eagles
I love the solo in this song, even though it is a very simple solo. Anyone who does not like this song needs psychiatric evaluation
- 8. More Than a Feeling by Boston
The vocals are fantastic, guitars are awesome, the song just plain kicks butt.
- 7. Supernaut by Black Sabbath
The riff is one of the best ever. Probably better than "Smoke on the Water." If you haven't heard it, I suggest you go out and get Black Sabbath Vol.4.
- 6. Free For All by Ted Nugent
Love that chorus. "I got me a rock and roll band. It's a free for all." The main guitar part is awesome.
- 5. Man on the Silver Mountain by Rainbow
Ooh, now this is a riff. I love the opening jet plane sound on the guitar. Ronnie James Dio is one of the greatest singers of all time.
- 4. Smoke on the Water by Deep Purple
I know, I know, you probably see this one a lot. The problem is, it's just too cool. I love Ian Gillan's voice. (Black Sabbath's version was even better.)
- 3. Trampled Under Foot by Led Zeppelin
Very addicting song. "I'm talkin' bout love." It's just that same couple of notes over and over again, very much like "Another One Bites the Dust."
- 2. Across the Universe by The Beatles
Fiona Apple did a cover of this song, and it was nothing compared to the original. This is very much a mood song, good to listen to before going to sleep.
- 1. After Forever by Black Sabbath
I absolutely love this song, not so much for the music, but for the lyrics. This was a very Christian song, one of the first Christian rock songs. I love lyrics like "Is your mind so small that you have to fall in with the pack wherever they run? Your friends should realize before they criticize that God is the only way to love."
You know, Black Sabbath does not get as much credit as they deserve.
By: juho nieminen
- 10. Superstition by Stevie Wonder
- 9. What going on by Marvin gaye
- 8. stairway to heaven by Led Zeppelin
- 7. Aqualund by Jetthro Tull
- 6. all the young dudes by Mott the hoople
- 5. Moondance by Van morrison
allmos as good as "astral weeks" from 60's
- 4. Man who sold the world by David Bowie
Best album of 70's is propably "Ziggy Stardust" by DB
- 3. Kashmir by Led Zeppelin
- 2. Imagine by John Lennon
- 1. Bohemian rhapsody by queen
What else did you expect?
How about building own section for the 60's best
Previous List or Next List
This page currently edited by: CeramicsFanatic. Past editor: ChuckyG
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 80s and 90s
Would You Like To Add Something We Missed?
Please use the submission page to submit information to be used on this page.