Top Ten Songs of the Seventies
What are your top ten favorite songs from the 70s?
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 80s and 90s
By: Reading Rocket
- 10. Sway by The Rolling Stones
Outstanding! One of the BEST from the 70's.
- 9. When You Dance by Neil Young
- 8. 4th Of July (Sandy) by Bruce Springsteen
This reminds me of Salisbury Beach, NH in the summer.
- 7. Take It Easy by The Eagles
A good summer song!
- 6. Love Hurts by Nazereth
A song sung from the heart. Everyone can relate...
- 5. Spirit In The Night by Bruce Springsteen
The best highschool song ever! Wish I could go back to THAT DRIVE-IN, just once....
- 4. Funk # 49 by Joe Walsh
A song to get psyched to, cruising in the car!
- 3. Love Ain't For Keeping by The Who
So SWEET.....good song to "Lose It" to.
- 2. Reason To Believe by Rod Stewart
- 1. Can't You Hear Me Knocking? by The Rolling Stones
"Throw me down your keys! Alright!" Nothing got you more revved up than this! THIS SONG ROCKED!
Honorable Mentions: "Don't Fear The Reaper" by BOC, "I'm So Into You" by Atlanta Rythym Section, "Make your Move" by Ray Gomez, "If You See Her" by Bob Dylan, "Walking Down The Road" by the Ozark Mountain Daredevils, and "Tangled Up In Blue" Bob Dylan.
By: Tony Horvath
- 10. Loco-Motion by Grand Funk
Their version of the Little Eva song is pure 70's R & R.
- 9. Exodus by Bob Marley
All of Marley's songs were great. This is my favorite.
- 8. American Pie by Don McLean
Well written lyrics which make you think every time you listen.
- 7. Telegram Sam by T-Rex
Marc Bolan was a genius.
- 6. Won't Get Fooled Again by The Who
- 5. Hotel California by The Eagles
The first album I ever bought.
- 4. Tangled Up In Blue by Bob Dylan
Bob's best from the 70's.
- 3. Black Dog by Led Zepplin
"Stairway To Heaven" is an obvious choice to make a top 10 list. It's so obvious that I chose to pick the opening song from the greatest album of the 70's.
- 2. Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd
The song that made them famous. Southern rock in it's finest moment.
- 1. Anarchy In The U.K. by Sex Pistols
The Pistols and this song shook the complacency out of us and music would never be the same after it. The beginning and the end of punk.
- 10. Kodachrome by Paul Simon
Name someone...anyone...who doesn't dig Paul Simon.
- 9. Sister Golden Hair by America
Will you love me just a little...just enough to show you care?
- 8. Ohio by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
- 7. Stuck In The Middle by Stealers Wheel
Quintessential seventies. Get up and dance.
- 6. The Things We Do For Love by 10cc
A guilty pleasure. The doo-wop ending is bliss.
- 5. Rock And Roll by Led Zepplin
- 4. No Time by The Guess Who
Everyone picks "American Woman", but this beats it.
- 3. Heart of Gold by Neil Young
You can't miss with Neil Young. He can rock with the best of them, but his ballads are achingly wonderful.
- 2. Get Closer by Seals & Crofts
The tom-toms really make this song. Fun and very 70s.
- 1. Magic Carpet Ride by Steppenwolf
Transcends the 70s and still sounds fresh today.
By: Steven Logan
- 10. Keep Yourself Alive by Queen
- 9. Sail On Sailor by Beach Boys
- 8. Fooled Around And Fell In Love by Elvin Bishop
Love Mickey Thomas on vocals.
- 7. Dreidel by Don Mclean
I just like it!
- 6. Moonlight Feels Right by Starbuck
- 5. How Does It Feel by Slade
A welcome change.
- 4. Too Late To Turn Back Now by Cornelius Brothers& Sister Rose
Great soul track!
- 3. Without You by Doobie Brothers
One of the best rockers ever.
- 2. Celebration by P.F.M.
These were Italian one-hit wonders.
- 1. Real Man by Todd Rundgren
"It's Comin' On " is from Right Back To Where We Started From, by Maxine Nightingale (1975).
- 10. Do You Know What I Mean by Lee Michael
Simple but memorable.
- 9. Do You Feel Like We Do by Peter Frampton
- 8. Trans Am by Sammy Hagar
- 7. Deep California Purples by Chicago Transit Authority
The percussion is great.
- 6. Walk On Guilded Splinters by Humble Pie
It's so busy with underlying currents - sort of like Stephen King's "The Stand".
- 5. New Orleans Ladies by Louisiana's LeRoux
Smooth, like velvet.
- 4. In My Life by Beatles
Basically my outlook of life.
- 3. Cars Hiss By My Window by Doors
It takes me back to my childhood and hearing cars drive down rain soaked streets.
- 2. Dazed And Confused by Led Zeppelin
Probably the most relaxing song that I have ever heard.
- 1. Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd
Takes me places in my head - memories.
And how could you forget Wet Willie, Allman Brothers, and the Stones. Or Van Morrison's "Into the Mystic". Fantastic music - great memories!
- 10. Mr. Big by Free
- 9. Eruption by Van Halen
- 8. Long Time by Boston
- 7. Cat Scratch Fever by Ted Nugent
- 6. In My Time Of Dying by Led Zeppelin
- 5. Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd
- 4. Tush by ZZ Top
- 3. The Rover by Led Zeppelin
- 2. War Pigs by Black Sabbath
- 1. Nantucket Sleighride by Mountain
- 10. Rock And Roll by KISS
- 9. Rocket Man by Elton John
- 8. Kashmir by Led Zeppelin
- 7. We Are The Champions by Queen
- 6. Stayin' Alive by Bee Gees
- 5. Let's Stay Together by Al Green
- 4. L.A. Woman by The Doors
- 3. Freebird by Lynryd Skynyrd
- 2. American Pie by Don McLean
- 1. Stairway To Heaven by Led Zeppelin
By: Daniel E. Dobish
- 10. Brandy (You're A Fine Girl) by Looking Glass
She's a fine girl, what a good wife she would be!
- 9. Lotta Love by Nicolette Larson
Classic 70's song....remember hearing this one on the way to Kindergarten, when it was popular.
- 8. Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now by McFadden & Whitehead
Great disco tune -- heard this last on my MP3s and on CHiPs!
- 7. Bad Bad Leroy Brown by Jim Croce
...baddest man in the whole damn town!
- 6. Right Down The Line by Gerry Rafferty
"Baker Street" is great, but this is Gerry's best song, in my opinion.
- 5. Kung Fu Fighting by Carl Douglas
Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting....
- 4. December 1963 (Oh, What A Night) by Four Seasons
- 3. Boogie Shoes by Kc & The Sunshine Band
I cannot really stand this band, but I love this song!
- 2. The Night Chicago Died by Paper Lace
This is one damn fine song!
- 1. Blinded By The Light by Manfred Mann's Earth Band
Revved up like a deuce!
There are so many other songs that I'd love to give honorable mention to -- the 70s and 80s are both great times for music and this is the stuff I grew up listening to and fortunately, I can get this stuff on MP3s. Chicago - Feeling Stronger Everyday, Led Zeppelin - Dyer Maker, Van McCoy - The Hustle, Paul McCartney & Wings - Uncle Albert and Jet. So many more I cannot even think!
By: Mike Rodriguez
- 10. Seasons In The Sun by Terry Jacks
The sappiest but catchiest song of the 70's.
- 9. You Make Loving Fun by Fleetwood Mac
Another really cool song - especially while driving.
- 8. Tapestry by Carole King
The whole album deserves to be the best seller of the decade.
- 7. Driver's Seat by Sniff 'N The Tears
The coolest 70's song.
- 6. Rainy Days & Mondays by The Carpenters
Karen Carpenter - perfection.
- 5. Knowing Me, Knowing You by ABBA
ABBA - do I need to say more?
- 4. Billy, Don't Be A Hero by Paper Lace
Sappy, but still fun.
- 3. The Night Chicago Died by Paper Lace
- 2. Brandy (You're A Fine Girl) by Looking Glass
I just love this song!
- 1. When Will I See You Again by The Three Degrees
The first 45 I ever bought, and it still brings a smile to my face.
The 70's were sappy, cheesy, fun, and also my teen years, therefore, the best decade to have been a teen !!
- 10. Shine On You Crazy Diamond by Pink Floyd
- 9. Truckin' Off Across The Sky ( Live) by The Guess Who
- 8. Tuesday Morning by Back Street Crawler
- 7. It's A Long Way There by Little River Band
- 6. Song Of Yesterday by Free
- 5. Funeral For A Friend by Elton John
- 4. No Quarter by Led Zeppelin
- 3. Broad Daylight by Free
- 2. Oh Well by Fleetwood Mac
- 1. Seven Angels by Free
Magnificent music and lyrics and...it just takes me away. Greatest band ever.
Previous List or Next List
This page currently edited by: CeramicsFanatic. Past editor: ChuckyG
We also have pages on this topic devoted to the 80s and 90s
Would You Like To Add Something We Missed?
Please use the submission page to submit information to be used on this page.